Monday, November 9, 2009

Museum of Modern Art in New York City

Today I went to go visit the Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan(11 West 53 Street, 10019-5497) for the first time in almost 20 years and since major rework was done on it several years ago.
I took the F-Train subway in 71-Contentital Ave Station in Forest Hills and got off at 47-50th street. After walking a few blocks, the MoMA was in the middle of the block. After paying and getting a paper map, I started to explore this wonderful space.
The musuem has 6 floors of various exhibits from the different eras of modern art. As usual most of the art which I enjoyed is from the period before WWII in the 1920's. Everything afterwards appear more abstract and more "selfish" in my crude eyes.
It seems most of the crowd in the musuem was tourist, as I heard many different languges spoken throughout the hallways.
I truly enjoyed seeing the famous work by Picaso, Miro, Dahli, Klimt and van Gogh. I walked each of the 6 floors through all of the galleries and noticed that I really should have one of those Audio Guide machines as there is much information to take in. Some of the art work have numbers which one type into the Audio Guide and information is given.
At the information desk in the first floor, the lady behind the booth told me they had ran out of the free Audio Guides. She told be to go to the 6 Floor where there were more. I did, handed the attendent my Drivers Licence for collateral and headed back to the galleries to review some of the art work which caught my eye.
One thing that was disappointing to me was seeing the art work by Edward Hopper called "House by the Railroad" in an out of the way space behind the elevators, which most people would not see. Hopper is my favorite artist and this piece was the museum first ever purchase. Seeing it in a place away from the crowds to see was rather disappointing.
All in all the gallery is laid out nicely with many representation of what is know a modern art displayed equally throughout all the floors. I recommend visiting if you are passing by New York.

Some pictures I took during my visit can be seen in the public Facebook link below.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37837&id=1507778102&l=08c718bbcc

No comments:

Post a Comment