Monday, October 19, 2009

Half-Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival

On Saturday 17 Oct 2009, I got up early and drove to the annual Half Moon Bay Art and Pumpkin Festival in the coastal town of Half Moon Bay. To get there from San Jose, one has to drive through highway 92 which is the only road that cuts across the Santa Cruz Mountains into the town. Getting there early is the only way to avoid the huge traffic that always occur in this event.

After paying $5 dollars to park my car at a town parking lot, I walked to the event center at about 7am. The downtown had its street closed and lined with arts booth being set up this early in the morning. Some of the food venues were open and I purchase a cup of coffee and a pumpkin roll, to be in tune with the festival.
I walked up and down the early morning, misty streets observing all the booths being set up for the days events. Very nice quality items, more then I find in other arts festival. In one parking lot, some of the competitors of the biggest pumpkin were on display. These things were huge and a looked like they were squashed one side. The weight of these gourds won't allow them to grow round.

As the morning progessed the sun burnt off the morning hazy and mist revealing more people were arriving at the festival. I grabbed some more coffee from different charity vendors to show my support and to get warmer.

In the main side street of Miramontes, the winner of the pumpkin contest was being ready for people to purchase photos along side the king. For a charity donation of $12 dollars was going to the Cabrillo Education Foundation. As I was waiting in line to take my picture with the winner, I attended about data on the pumpkin. He said it weighed in at 1,658 lbs and it came all the way from Iowa. The rules state that the pumpkin must be grown in a 12months period. Well I took my picture with the winning pumpkin but found out later that I had lost my photo. I went back to retrace my steps but could not find it. Upset was putting it lightly but I gathered my self and said lets not ruin a great day.

I had a great morning during this very nice autumn festival.

Photos can be seen below:






No comments:

Post a Comment