Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Informational Interview for LEED/Green Industry

I have been thinking about changing directions in my career and thought about going into the "green industry" and earning a LEED(Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification to rate builds on how well they meet "green" standards.

Of course, I know nothing of this so I asked the building manager at my former employer to explain what is LEED and how to obtain a certification. We met at that modern establishment where all important things are talked about, Starbucks.

She showed me reference material from a Brightworks workshop she had gone through recently to obtain her certification. There is lots of name of standards which need to be memorized as the test is all rout. She explained that there are different areas which LEEDS cover from home to site certification.

I noticed in my recent search for new opportunities that certifying new construction as being "green" under the LEED's definition will be in high demand. I wish to pursue something more flexible in nature then relaying totally on project work which can end withing fiscal years and leaving you looking for another job.

During this informational interview, I was given much to think about and a point to explore further. More information from the US Greenbuilding Council This line of possible career is very interesting to me and will definitily gather more information to determine what needs to be done to enter this field.

No comments:

Post a Comment